On August 1, 2013, the Ministry of Health changed the structure of physiotherapy programs for seniors in Ontario. As part of this change, the Ministry introduced FREE programs for seniors related to physical activity and physiotherapy. Better Living Health and Community Services was selected by the Central Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) to provide more than 200 fitness and falls prevention programs on an annual basis at more than 50 sites across North York… and the Better Living Centre is one of them!
The Better Living Centre offers FREE specialized Fitness classes for those 65+ that run ongoing and indefinitely. These classes have been developed to help individuals cope with potential falls and include a combination of strength and balance exercises that will help increase general mobility, endurance and balance. The wide variety of Classes are divided into the following categories:
Low Intensity – Suggested for individuals that are new to a group exercise class and/or want an overall body workout at a beginners pace.
Medium Intensity – Suggested for individuals that want to build on their developing skills to improve their strength and balance at a higher intensity.
Intermediate Intensity – Suggested for individuals that are comfortable with increased level of balance, strengthening and cardiovascular exercises.
Free Exercise and Falls Prevention Classes FAQs
1. This is NOT a Drop-In session or included in your membership.
2. On occasion, classes may be rescheduled or canceled on short notice.
3. Participants are encouraged to attend the class on a regular basis for best outcomes.
4. For additional community locations near you, please contact the Community Fitness and Falls Prevention Department at ext. 731.
Who can attend these classes?
• Those who are 65+ and have a valid OHIP card can join FREE of charge.
• If you are under 65, a minimal pre-paid class fee of $2.50 will be applicable and a $35 membership fee per year (plus one-time $5 administration fee for NEW members).
Required registration process
• 65+ MUST complete a brief telephone assessment by the CCAC (416) 222-2241 ext. 6444 prior to starting the program and complete the Better Living registration form.
• Under 65 MUST complete only the Better Living registration form prior to starting your first class.
• Once the form is completed, the Community Fitness and Falls Prevention Coordinator will confirm to ensure that the program is suitable for your level of fitness.
Falls Prevention Guidelines:
1. Participants must register for the Falls Prevention Program prior to the start date.
2. The Physiotherapists Initial Assessments will be conducted during Week 1 of the session and Pre/Discharge Assessments during Week 12. These assessments will be used to assess participant progress and determine if the participant is eligible to continue. If the participant has completed the goals of the 12 week Falls Prevention program; they will be discharged and progress into other free fitness programs we offer.
3. A waitlist will be available on a first come, first serve basis, open until week 3 of the 12-week session.
4. In the case of emergency or absence that will extend more than 4 missed classes, without notification, your space will be discharged.